The pro guide to defined, natural curls
Volume, definition, bounce. (And a super cool styling trick!)
STEP BY STEP TO NATURALLY DEFINED, BOUNCY CURLS
1. Wash your hair and condition it with a nurturing conditioner. Depending on your hair type and how much styling products you use, wash your hair with shampoo once a week or every tenth day.
In-between that, just use conditioner.
2. Comb your hair carefully with a wide tooth comb or just by using your fingers. Section by section, add more of the conditioner – this time, don’t rinse it out! Curly hair can be a bit dehydrated and you can use a lot of moisturising products without weighing it down. Try a primer spray to help detangle your hair, – or use a BB Creme – it contains avocado oil for nourishment, keratin for hair repair and silk amino acids to reduce frizziness.
3. For extra defined curls – add some styling cream or a curl defining product.
Do this when applying the conditioner, so you don’t have to section your hair twice!
4. Let your hair air dry or blow-dry it, using a diffuser. This will help keeping the curls defined. Et voilà – defined curls with natural movement!
ADD MORE VOLUME!
1. Make sure your hair is completely dry. If still damp, turn your head upside down and blow-dry close to the roots using your hands to separate the hair.
2. Use a wide tooth comb to backcomb/tease your hair where you want more volume. Concentrate on the roots.
3. Using your fingers, separate and pull curls to create a messier look.
PUT A TWIST ON IT!
1. Put the top layer of your hair up, using hair grips. Grab a smaller section of hair from the under layer, and divide the section in two. Start twisting both sections in the same direction. As you twist them, start twisting them around each other – but in the opposite direction. This will make them cling to each other and stay twisted. If your hair is very curly, you will not need to secure the ends. Keep twisting the under layer of your hair, then let the top layer down and do the same.
2. Wear it twisted for a super cool, '90s retro braided look!
3. Or release it and the result will be a wavier style with a bit more controlled and glamourous shape than natural curls. Make sure that the twists are completely dry before releasing them. Remember – the bigger the sections/twists, the bigger the waves will be! After you have released the twists, comb it through with your fingers or a wide tooth comb. To add some shine, spray evenly with a glossy finishing spray.
HAIR: Sainabou Chune | Mikas Looks
MODEL: Xiara Waller | The Hive Management
PHOTOGRAPHER: Pauline Suzor
STYLIST: Mikaela Hållén
MAKEUP: Sara Eriksson
PHOTO ASSISTANT: Jacob Tovedal